Crystal Insurance Scheme

Protecting your home and belongings

Crystal Insurance Scheme

Your housing provider may not insure your furniture, belongings and other personal items within your home against theft, fire, vandalism, burst pipes and other household risks. The Crystal Insurance Scheme can offer tenants and residents the chance to insure the contents of their homes.

The Crystal Insurance Scheme is a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks, The policy covers the contents and personal belongings for tenants in social housing against loss or damage from specific events (for example, fire, theft or escape of water).

The Crystal Insurance Scheme can cover most of your household goods and contents  whilst in your home, such as furniture, TV, clothing, carpets, electrical items and general household goods. It does not cover property used or held for business or professional purposes. Full details of the policy cover and exclusions are available on request before you apply for cover.

• The insurance also covers replacement of external locks if your keys are lost or stolen and the contents of your fridge and freezer ((excludes damage caused if the electricity supplier deliberately cuts of the supply to your home). 

There are additional cover options which you can add to the standard policy.

Reasons to choose Crystal Insurance Scheme

If you are a tenant who rents, then your landlord may not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It’s a good idea to check the cover in place and consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for, in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your personal possessions could be broken, damaged or stolen.


Flexible Payment Options

Flexible regular premium payments, fortnightly or monthly by cash, at any post office or pay zone outlet, monthly by direct debit, annually by cheque, postal order, debit or credit card. (Fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction charge, details are available in the application pack or during the sales journey).

Phone and email

How Can You Apply?

Quick and easy to apply for cover over the phone or by requesting a call back using the contact page.



This contents insurance policy has been designed to meet the demands and needs of those living in social housing who wish to insure their possessions. All social housing tenants and residents are eligible to apply.

Home security

Minimum Requirements

You don’t need to have a special door or window locks, just a lockable front door.

Price tag

New For Old Cover

For most items cover is provided on a new for old basis, with no deduction for wear and tear - except in respect of linen and clothing.

Hands with pound symbol

Low Minimum Sums Insured

Cover is offered in bands of £1,000 with low minimum sums insured available.


Standard Cover

Cover against fire, theft, vandalism, water damage and other household risks. These are examples of the types of risk your contents will be insured for. Full details of the policy cover and exclusions are available on request before you apply for cover.


Standard Accidental Damage Cover

Accidental damage to TV’s and aerials and home computers is covered as standard (excludes items designed to be portable including mobile phones, ipods etc). A £50 excess may apply, full details are available on request. Cover for portable items is available under the extended accidental damage optional cover.

Our optional extras

For an additional premium, as part of the Crystal Insurance Scheme we are able to offer you the following optional extras. Full details of the policy cover and exclusions are available on request before you apply for cover.

Broken window

Extended Accidental Damage

Our extended accidental damage option provides cover for accidents which may occur in the home. Accidental damage is damage caused suddenly and by unexpected means. This does not include damage caused by wear and tear, anything that happens gradually, electrical or mechanical breakdown, or damage to contents not inside your home. (A £50 excess may apply, full details are available on request).

Possession protection

Possession Protection

Optional cover against theft, loss or damage for clothing and items designed to be worn or carried, whilst away from the home. Items are only covered up to the chosen insured sum, with any one claim limited to 50% of sum insured. Limits and exclusions apply


Wheelchair Cover

Cover up to £1,000, £2,000 or £3,000 available for wheelchairs/powerchairs which are not licensed for use on the road and cannot exceed speeds of 8mph. Excludes wear or tear or gradual deterioration, electrical or mechanical breakdown. Limits and exclusions apply.

Hearing aid

Hearing Aid Cover

Loss or damage to hearing aids in your home or anywhere in the world with cover options of £1,000, £2,000 or £3,000 available. Excludes wear or tear or gradual deterioration, electrical or mechanical breakdown, damage caused by pets. Limits and exclusions apply.


Structure Cover

The structure of a garden shed, greenhouse or garage up to £500. Limits and exclusions apply. Contents covered within a garden shed, greenhouse or garage are included as standard within the policy. Limits and exclusions apply.

Premiums are based on your postcode, age, level of cover you require and preferred payment method.

This insurance does not cover your property against everything that can happen. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. A copy of the policy wording is available upon request. To make sure that you are always covered you must keep up to date with your payments. If you don't pay your insurance premium your insurance may be cancelled.